THE LAUREL 1891 OYSTER KNIFE is one of a kind AND the first of its kind. NOW YOU CAN OWN OR GIFT PART of A GREAT OYSTERING LEGACY.
A FEW QUICK FACTS
1. These are the only oyster knives to ever to be made out of reclaimed hardwood from an historic oystering vessel.
2. Knife handles made with the decking planks from LAUREL, which was built in 1891 and worked for about 100 years.
3. LAUREL, was America's oldest and most historic oyster boat until she was dismantled in 2014.
4. Only 1500 of these knives will EVER be made because, well, there are only so many decking planks we could up-cycle.
5. The LAUREL 1891 OYSTER KNIFE is custom made in the "Wellfleet Style" by R. Murphy Knives which has been making knives in Massachusetts since 1850.
6. The knife if not just functional, it is world class. This design goes back 100 years. The Wellfleet Style was developed by R. Murphy and it is a favorite of many professional chefs & shuckers.
6. This knife is 100% Made in the USA
7. Through the analysis of the United States Government Forest Products wood identification program, the reclaimed wood has been positively identified as Anqelique, an extremely rare and unique tropical hardwood only grown in areas of French Guiana and Western Suriname.
8. Part of the 1891 shipment of Angelique from Suriname to New York was used to build LAUREL. The rest is believed to have been used for sections of the Coney Island Boardwalk.
A GIFT THAT SHOWS YOU GIVE A SHUCK
These knives make great gifts. And they are excellent for shucking oysters, of course.
The wood blanks wrap around a patented teardrop handle design resulting in a more confident grip. Additionally, the edge radius has a slight taper for better handling.
For this limited-edition run of celebration knives, the outline of a traditional New York oyster boat is etched into the handle while the name and build date appear on the blade.
The elimination of the center brass rivet places the balance point forward towards the blade which more effectively converts shucking energy into shucking power.